Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've all been waiting for these bad boys with baited breath for the past few months and I'm thrilled to say that they're finally out and we're one of the first to get our hands on them.

Fortunately, our cars are much simpler than the Focus ST - installation requires just a 13mm Socket, Ratchet, Extension and a Hammer.

Check it out, I'll be reporting back what my findings are once the one in my hand is in my Fiesta ST!

·
Registered
102 Posts
We've all been waiting for these bad boys with baited breath for the past few months and I'm thrilled to say that they're finally out and we're one of the first to get our hands on them.

Cobb Fiesta ST Rear Motor Mounts At ModBargains.com

Available for $155.

Fortunately, our cars are much simpler than the Focus ST - installation requires just a 13mm Socket, Ratchet, Extension and a Hammer.

Check it out, I'll be reporting back what my findings are once the one in my hand is in my Fiesta ST!

To order, call 714-582-3330, and ask for your FiestaST.net rep, Jurrian, at x8002 or visit ModBargains.com
Benefits?...compromises?....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Benefits?...compromises?....
copypasted:

7. Motor mount: can someone tell me what this does other than provide a measure of safety? How does it impact driving?
no this is NOT a mod about Safety. Have you noticed wheel hop, or felt harshness shifting or otherwise feel the engine moving around?

See the thread I posted creatively titled "WHY YOUR FIESTA ST NEEDS AN UPGRADED REAR MOTOR MOUNT" where I discuss this concept in further detail as well as a Cobb R&D video illustrating the very clear problem.

The OEM bushings are too soft. As a result, they cannot cope with torquey ecoboost motors. The soft bushings allow for a lot of undesirable engine movement (we are talking INCHES of movement here not something minor) and generally makes driving a lot less responsive. Installing a rear motor mount will improve your driveability, improve traction, eliminate wheel hop and make shifting smoother. It is NOT a safety upgrade, it is a DRIVEABILITY upgrade.

The benefits are improved drivability. The compromise is that the material in the larger bushing is not as firm as say the 2JRacing solid Delrin RMM insert, meaning that it's not going to be as harsh and more inclined for street users that drive the car spiritedly rather than someone who is racing the car. If you drive your car on the street, the Cobb RMM is a well engineered solution to the wheelhop and nasty bang you get (motor hitting the firewall) when you shift any faster than your grandma might. If you have an all out track-only racecar that seldom sees street use the solid delrin mount is the better option.

I hope this has illustrated what the mount does for you and what it is good for.

It's also not hard to install either - all you need is a 13mm, an extension, ratchet and a hammer, and if you really dragged it out, it'll take you two hours. If you follow the directions you might be able to knock it out in 30mins.

obviously installing bushings into the OEM dogbone piece would take a lot longer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
copypasted:

7. Motor mount: can someone tell me what this does other than provide a measure of safety? How does it impact driving?
no this is NOT a mod about Safety. Have you noticed wheel hop, or felt harshness shifting or otherwise feel the engine moving around?

See the thread I posted creatively titled "WHY YOUR FIESTA ST NEEDS AN UPGRADED REAR MOTOR MOUNT" where I discuss this concept in further detail as well as a Cobb R&D video illustrating the very clear problem.

The OEM bushings are too soft. As a result, they cannot cope with torquey ecoboost motors. The soft bushings allow for a lot of undesirable engine movement (we are talking INCHES of movement here not something minor) and generally makes driving a lot less responsive. Installing a rear motor mount will improve your driveability, improve traction, eliminate wheel hop and make shifting smoother. It is NOT a safety upgrade, it is a DRIVEABILITY upgrade.

The benefits are improved drivability. The compromise is that the material in the larger bushing is not as firm as say the 2JRacing solid Delrin RMM insert, meaning that it's not going to be as harsh and more inclined for street users that drive the car spiritedly rather than someone who is racing the car. If you drive your car on the street, the Cobb RMM is a well engineered solution to the wheelhop and nasty bang you get (motor hitting the firewall) when you shift any faster than your grandma might. If you have an all out track-only racecar that seldom sees street use the solid delrin mount is the better option.

I hope this has illustrated what the mount does for you and what it is good for.

It's also not hard to install either - all you need is a 13mm, an extension, ratchet and a hammer, and if you really dragged it out, it'll take you two hours. If you follow the directions you might be able to knock it out in 30mins.

obviously installing bushings into the OEM dogbone piece would take a lot longer.
thx mate, although it sounds like its more for those that perhaps drive their vehicles harder than the norm....I would also assume it would make the vehicle more vibration prone when idling...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thx mate, although it sounds like its more for those that perhaps drive their vehicles harder than the norm....I would also assume it would make the vehicle more vibration prone when idling...
No, you would be wrong. Again, This is not so much an upgrade as much as it is that your stock motor mounts are effectively broken and not doing their job. It is something you should FIX that is currently WRONG with your car. All this excess movement in the engine also causes undue wear on other parts of the car, too. This much movement is what you'd expect from a car where the motor mounts have FAILED.

This is enough of a problem for the Focus ST that Ford have had to issue a Technical Service Bulletin to install upgraded motor mounts because they admit the ones installed factory are not up to the task of keeping your motor from hitting the f&&king firewall under NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS. And even then, this doesn't resolve the issue. If you drive your car like a human being, you will benefit from a correct durometer Rear Motor Mount.

As I explained, A solid delrin mount might transmit more vibration whilst idling but the cobb unit is not solid delrin but rather appears to be urethane and features holes in it to minimize NVH concerns (NVH = industry acronym standing for Noise Vibration Harshness). All that have installed the upgrade in the focus st do not report any notable increase in NVH.

As I said, Cobb's unit is designed with street users in mind and to work for the greatest number of people and appeal to most users. As someone who retails parts for a living, the expectations of someone who races their car and someone who daily drives the car have totally different standards for quality. Cobb's products are engineered to be a good compromise, offering an improvement in performance without making you feel like you've ruined your car.

again, it's not just for those who drive their vehicles hard - as I keep telling you, shifting NORMALLY at a NORMAL speed, not quickshifting, just a NORMAL rate of speed will cause the engine to smack the firewall. the only way to NOT have it smack the firewall is to really try hard to baby both the clutch and throttle when shifting.

I experience the harshness and wheel hop on a regular basis just driving around whilst commuting and the engine wiggles around a lot and does weird things sometimes if you push it into a turn with an odd load on it, the RMM gets rid of that, letting the car actually get its power to the ground and improves the comfortability of your drive day to day.

Please watch this video. It will GREATLY help illustrate to you why the rear motor mount is such a problem.

The Cobb Rear Motor Mount makes the car drive how it SHOULD have been from the factory.

THIS IS A FIX TO A PROBLEM that affects ALL FIESTA STs. You are FIXING something that is broken more than you are upgrading a component.

·
Registered
102 Posts
No, you would be wrong. Again, This is not so much an upgrade as much as it is that your stock motor mounts are effectively broken and not doing their job. It is something you should FIX that is currently WRONG with your car. All this excess movement in the engine also causes undue wear on other parts of the car, too. This much movement is what you'd expect from a car where the motor mounts have FAILED.

This is enough of a problem for the Focus ST that Ford have had to issue a Technical Service Bulletin to install upgraded motor mounts because they admit the ones installed factory are not up to the task of keeping your motor from hitting the f&&king firewall under NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS. And even then, this doesn't resolve the issue. If you drive your car like a human being, you will benefit from a correct durometer Rear Motor Mount.

As I explained, A solid delrin mount might transmit more vibration whilst idling but the cobb unit is not solid delrin but rather appears to be urethane and features holes in it to minimize NVH concerns (NVH = industry acronym standing for Noise Vibration Harshness). All that have installed the upgrade in the focus st do not report any notable increase in NVH.

As I said, Cobb's unit is designed with street users in mind and to work for the greatest number of people and appeal to most users. As someone who retails parts for a living, the expectations of someone who races their car and someone who daily drives the car have totally different standards for quality. Cobb's products are engineered to be a good compromise, offering an improvement in performance without making you feel like you've ruined your car.

again, it's not just for those who drive their vehicles hard - as I keep telling you, shifting NORMALLY at a NORMAL speed, not quickshifting, just a NORMAL rate of speed will cause the engine to smack the firewall. the only way to NOT have it smack the firewall is to really try hard to baby both the clutch and throttle when shifting.

I experience the harshness and wheel hop on a regular basis just driving around whilst commuting and the engine wiggles around a lot and does weird things sometimes if you push it into a turn with an odd load on it, the RMM gets rid of that, letting the car actually get its power to the ground and improves the comfortability of your drive day to day.

Please watch this video. It will GREATLY help illustrate to you why the rear motor mount is such a problem.

The Cobb Rear Motor Mount makes the car drive how it SHOULD have been from the factory.

THIS IS A FIX TO A PROBLEM that affects ALL FIESTA STs. You are FIXING something that is broken more than you are upgrading a component.
good to know, personally i havent noticed anything, but this borders on being a no brainer....especially given an apparent easy install....thx

·
Registered
72 Posts
copypasted:

Awesome I was wondering what the benefits and compromises were compared to delrin. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
757 Posts
I can confirm the the Delrin mount DOES reduce motor movement, but is rather harsh for a daily driver. I have this unit on order, so I'll be able to compare all three (stock, delrin and Cobb)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, just a heads up to anyone local - for the first FIVE customers to buy a Cobb Rear Motor Mount at ModBargains in La Habra, CA, we're also offering free installation for the first five FiST owners that take us up on it. I'm not the sales guy over here, but I do all the research for Fiesta ST parts and have installed and tested this RMM personally. I think that's a great deal for anyone iffy about doing it themselves; we can take care of it for you in half an hour or less. It's MUCH easier to install the Cobb RMM than trying to swap out the bushings, let me tell you that. Plus, with a lift, it can be done incredibly quick, whereas you'll find yourself spending a lot of time actually getting the car in the air to do it yourself.

We've got quite a few physically on hand, in stock at our location RIGHT NOW, ready to install today.

I love my Cobb RMM and it's a smokin deal for anyone local!

Call ModBargains at 714-582-3330 and ask for Jurrian or email [email protected] to schedule your install. That's $155 INSTALLED (+ca sales tax - no way around that one) for the first five people to take us up on it - and $180+ca sales tax after that. It's a great deal for anyone who can't readily get under their car.

You can talk to the Modification Experts directly by messaging user "ModBargains".

Cheers
Blue Bomber aka Nick

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have changed the lower transmission mount on all of my FWD cars, regardless of they are for the street, track, or autocross. This is an outstanding modification for anyone looking at improved shift feel, wheel hop reduction, and less torque absorbtion into the bushing. The engine smacking the firewall is only a Focus ST issue, but the improvements in shifting, acceleration, and reduced engine movement is the same on the Focus ST or Fiesta ST. The Fiesta ST does have a slightly stiffer bushing compared to the regular Fiesta. The Focus bushing seems to be made of warm jello.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Till I swapped out my RMM (for lack of a better term) I would get the firewall type Bang on a hard launch or spirited upshift.. doubt it was the firewall that made the noise because if you ever take the plastic cowling off around the wiper arms you will see there is a TON of room back there and once that is out doing the DP swap is a pleasure. Agreed though once done shifts are almost mechanical feeling and that is not bad for a cable shifter .. Though I do have the mountune quick shift kit.. Very worth while upgrade.

Reactions: Firesail
1 - 12 of 12 Posts