Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

Fiesta ST Intake - 2JR Dyno Results

15K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  myrightfoot 
#1 ·
After installing our 2JR 3" catback and 2JR catted downpipe, I decided to do a couple runs with an intake. Now I dont think there is a true CAI available as all the ones I have found sit below the battery, behind the fans, in the engine bay. Not in the fender.

What we uncovered is what I suspected. In front of the car were 2, 1hp fans (floor driers). These move a ton of air and would probably simulate a 30-40mph drive.

At any rate - here are the results:

2JR 3" Catback
2JR Catted Downpipe
OEM Intake Box, with K&N drop in filter
RUN 13 - COBB AP, 93 OCT map

Run 15 - removed OEM Intake Box, added CAI - First Run

Text Blue Line Plot Diagram

Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Car

Notice there was no change in hp or tq. Now, after RUN 15, which was the first run with the CAI. The intake temps shot up to 140deg. This is because of the intense heat that is in the engine bay. Immediately the power started to drop off. Our last run was 189whp. The TQ increase is with the CAI is only right at tip in when the turbo hits. After that, there is no change.

Text Blue Line Font Plot

Vehicle audio Electronics Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

^^ Check out the intake temps - max of 140deg.

So then I decided to turn the CAI outside the engine bay and rerun the dyno. The intake temps stayed at 80deg or so and the HP returned to normal.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Text Blue Line Font Diagram

Vehicle audio Electronics Auto part Vehicle Car

Point being, a K&N Drop In not only makes the EXACT same power as a CAI, but its way more consistent in its power as it doesnt pull air from a hot engine.

So unless you can run a CAI in the fender, or build a box for it, or think of some other way to run cold air to it (and protect from the elements). The stock box w K&N is the way to go.

See less See more
#3 ·
It sounds really cool - esp the BOV. But honestly, what I do.. I would hate the HP loss. When the turbo hit, the CAI makes a bit of a jump in TQ but it negates any gains down the curve. And esp the very high intake temps.

I prefer to keep the airbox isolated from the engine
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Rallycross Motorsport

#9 ·
dont think thats available in the US. would be interesting if it was. biggest issue when you start messing with intakes that access the outside of the car is the possibility of it sucking up water during a very heavy rain or when splashing through a large puddle of water. not saying this one would but if you hang around the various forums long enough you find examples where that happens even when the mounting would appear to avoid the issue.

#10 ·
Not surprised. I plan to fab up some sort of box/duct for my new Injen intake. Has anybody considered putting a 2" hole next to the left side fog light? I have to see what's behind there, but that seems like a good spot for a cold air duct.

#15 ·
Here is something I fabbed up, I didn't want to cut next to the fog light, so I went below the front bumper. I spray painted the elbows black for final install, it's barely noticeable from any angle and looks close to oem fit since the IC piping bends right where it goes down.

Sound is not different at all (disappointing) but it SEEMS like I get a tiny bit quicker spool times, but it could be a placebo effect. In any case at least it's cold air.

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine Hood

Bumper Automotive exterior Light Auto part Automotive lighting

#18 ·
You mean like how the stock intake is designed :) The stock air feed is basically two sharp right angles.

Anyways, yeah I was testing a little with my air compressor to see how the air flowed through, it's not great but it's not going to create negative pressure the way that it's setup. The pipe that goes under the bumper is actually longer than the one in the pic where it's laying on the engine bay, and I found that the longer that pipe is the better it flowed through the right angles. I'll probably replace the bottom one with a more sweeping pipe, they had them but I was worried about clearance. After fitting it, I think the more gradual bend would work, at least on the bottom (top is too tight)

#19 ·
I would slightly worry about a gopher hole effect, they dig their holes with one entrance higher than the other to flow higher pressure air from the low hole through their tunnel and out the lower pressure high hole, they also use wind velocity to enhance the draft.

If your snorkel is in a low pressure area, you might wind up flowing air through rather than in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.