Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Would it be possible to modify the oem box by adding a bit of DIY duct work? Or is the box different in shape compared to the old 11-13 non ST? I'm just curious...
They are similar in shape.
The OEM bottom box is longer and smaller at the bottom, that might make it more difficult to attach a duct.
It is however made of ABS plastic and therefore the bottom could be cut off, a new bottom panel could then be glued on with a duct hole.

I suppose that anything could be done.
I have heard that people with ideas built complete cars in their workshops, to then become major automobile manufacturers.

Dave

·
Registered
754 Posts
Would it be possible to modify the oem box by adding a bit of DIY duct work? Or is the box different in shape compared to the old 11-13 non ST? I'm just curious...
From what I've seen it's the same. The same k&n filter number as the previous fiestas too. But maybe someone with a bit more experience knows best.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So . . . . The end of October came and went. Thanksgiving and Christmas the same. We switched calendars on the kitchen wall, and the Chinese are now celebrating the Year of the Horse. We had Presidents' Day last week, and we're halfway through Punxsutawney Phil's predicted six more weeks of winter. Whispers of "It's coming" emanate intermittently from the cold, dark lair of Mountune USA. Nevertheless, here we are, four months down the road, and the road's not moving any faster under our feet due to a US-available MP215. How hard can this be? Is there something about the package that makes Ford's domestic division nervous? Or is the market slice so small that this mod never reaches high priority with anyone? There are good ways and bad ways to spin the circumstances. Right now, I'd just like to hear something definitive, like "Mountune USA is pleased to announce that the North American version of its popular Fiesta ST tune package, the MP 215, will be available through certified Ford dealers beginning March 18, 2014. Although the introduction of the system has been delayed several months, Mountune and Ford are happy to also announce that the MSRP for the upgrade, which includes an ECU tune, air intake box and filter upgrades, and driver-accessible live digital reporting of all key drivetrain parameters, will be only $1099, down $200 from the rumored MSRP first reported last fall. In addition, installation and maintenance of package components will have no detrimental effect on the Ford warranty of the vehicle."

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
As Ken has said.
The essential part of the MP215, the M-Tune, is currently being tested by CARB.
So were are all at the mercy of a government agency.

Dave

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well, CARB is the California Air Resource Board so its not really Obama to blame. They have been a-holes since before Bill Clinton.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd be totally okay letting California hang for a few months if it meant the rest of the country could get the kit now. :)

·
Registered
908 Posts
Well being a Californian, I don't really agree with that but I see your point.

Back in the 60s and 70s, LA smog got really bad and the politicians were scrambling to fix it which brought about smog laws, unleaded gas and catalytic converters. At first it just strangled performance, then EFI came along with more efficient cats and performance came back. All the while smog laws got more and more strict until finally the smog started clearing up in the 90s. By then it wasn't smog hardware making cars cleaner, it was poor people getting a new wave of old used cars that had EFI and were not tuned pig rich.

Now they keep making smog laws more and more strict because that seems like the thing to do but lawn mowers and bar-b-ques are making way more smog than the cars do now so the new laws have almost zero effect.

Will the politicians ever see that? Maybe, but they are a bunch of corrupt miscreants who will pander to the Eco freaks for some cheap votes.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Sad price that you Cali folks pay for that wonderful weather.. they nuetter your car or tax you to death.. Here not inspections ever in my life yet and I can bolt on any parts I want.. only bite is we only get about 4 weeks of summer the rest is road constuction and misqueeto season.. Oh ya then Dear camp too... Oh well goes to show the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence .... So PLZ Mountune Provide This MP215 Kit SOON so these wonderful people can enjoy clean fresh air and lots of POWOAR....

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I remember as a child, not being able to go out and play at school recess because the smog was so bad.
I remember too that your lungs would burn when you did anything evolving effort on those days.
So I will agree that the Smog Laws have been a good thing.
They also kept me employed for many years.

The Smog Laws have forced the auto makers to make less polluting cars over the years.
It is true that 10% of cars make 90% of the Smog.
Also wash is correct, the older hand me down cars are MUCH more environment friendly.

However, I still want the MP215.
Dam it CARB, hurry up.

Dave

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I even have the day off.
I would go and buy today.
But alas.

Dave

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The other problem is that I can't help thinking about spending the money on other things.

Like house payment and groceries.

Dave

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I totally understand the need for CARB certification, etc. I'm driven by pure selfish motivation.
Nothing wrong with looking out for you self as not many other will....

·
Registered
754 Posts
CARB or not I think that even after the US gets the MP215, Canada will be months behind... If ever. At least in Ontario... We have the drive clean program that now hooks into the cars computer to read for codes. I hope the MP215 can get passed that.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I think smog laws have gone way overboard and they make it so hard to modify your car in a legal way that people who would try to make sure their modified car runs clean don't bother with smog regulations at all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think smog laws have gone way overboard and they make it so hard to modify your car in a legal way that people who would try to make sure their modified car runs clean don't bother with smog regulations at all.
I'm betting you didn't live in LA during the '50s through the '70s. I'll gladly keep CARB and the Federal Clean Air Act to breath the clean air we have now that we didn't have then. If it means that there will be delays in buying my tuning products I'm okay with that.

21 - 40 of 191 Posts