Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
What I'm saying is that the process of making smog legal parts is so convoluted that manufacturers don't bother trying to get their parts certified and gear heads won't settle for the few parts that do make it.

CARB is contributing to the problem because people want to run clean but the law creates no distinction between a modified car that runs clean and a modified car that runs dirty.

If you want clean air, do closed hood smog checks.

·
Registered
386 Posts
So, if we consider it a given that the holdup for release of Mountune's MP 215 package is the glacial pace of the CARB approval process in Cally-Forn-Eye-Ay, did Mountune or whoever declared that things would become available last October just have no idea of what they were getting into, or is there some sort of real hang-up in committee, as it were? In other words, are the CARB folks slower than usual, due to concerns (founded or unfounded), or was Mountune ignorant of the depths of bureaucracy in California?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
As I was told.
Everything went through all of the testing process and was approved.
Then however some changes were made to make it better and complete process had to be done again.

Dave

·
Registered
386 Posts
As I was told.
Then however some changes were made to make it better and complete process had to be done again.

Dave
Oy. Thanks for explicanation! :meh:

·
Registered
284 Posts
As I was told.

Dave
Was it a matter of the original version not making as much power as it was supposed to, or did they really just decide to take the opportunity to tweak it further?

With this kind of a wait, I almost expect it to be a better upgrade than the Euro equivalent.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Was it a matter of the original version not making as much power as it was supposed to, or did they really just decide to take the opportunity to tweak it further?

With this kind of a wait, I almost expect it to be a better upgrade than the Euro equivalent.
Remember that Ford needs to make the final approval.
Maybe they just found a little glitch.
As to what was done is a question for mountune.

Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll be able to give you all a bit of a preview in the not too distant future - I've just ordered the MP215 kit. Unfortunately it's on backorder, but I rang and spoke to Mountune on Friday night and they're estimating a couple of weeks at the most. Obviously there will be some differences between Euro and US cars but overall it should be pretty similar. I can't wait... :woot:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The UK version has been available for some time now.
Of course the UK version will NOT work on a US car.
The US version has been made but still awaiting final approval.

Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ford Australia is apparently working on making Mountune a factory-backed upgrade, but I decided to bite the bullet on the 215 kit now anyway. Once there's a second stage upgrade (which Mountune says they're working on) then I might go through a local dealer. I figured, given most of Ford empire offers Mountune with factory warranty, it wouldn't give me too much hassle. And the dealership I'll go to for servicing has said they'll turn a blind eye to 'light' mods... :cool:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The ford dealer I work at is a ford racing vendor I'll have to talk to the parts manager to see if I could order the mountune mp215 kit
More power to you.
However we have it on good authority (Mountune Directly) that it is not yet available here in the US.
I am absolutely certain that Ken will announce just as so as it is.

Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hehe... yeah, sorry folks. Actually, one could argue that the April Fool was me, because I had to pay $270 in taxes and import duty. Ouch...

Still, I'm sure it'll be more than worth it once it's installed. :cool:

No worries. This is an MP215 "US" thread.
... and I hope that all you North American owners get the opportunity for this kit before too long. I just joined the Mountune forum and realised just how much stuff they have in the pipeline for this car. With any luck you won't have to wait too long for the really important stuff...

41 - 60 of 191 Posts