Ford Fiesta ST Forum banner

Does your FiST transmission click and clack when shifting up?

Shifting noise

10K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  MasterPooBaa 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed a noise when shifting? It's a mechanical sound, and I guess I would describe it as a "click" then a "clack" (no, I don't only hear it when listening to NPR). I only hear it faintly under low revs, if the stereo is off and I'm shifting up - it doesn't seem to be present when shifting down.
To me it doesn't sound like a horrible noise or anything damaged, broken or bad - but in saying that, manual vehicles I've owned in the past haven't had the same noise.

Any thoughts?

#4 ·
I think I've got the same thing, and I've grown used to it. I'm calling it one of the lovable little quirks of the car. Maybe some day I'll believe that!

Functionally, I think our trannies and shifters are good-but-not-great. I expect them to last well if treated properly, but I'm never going to get all goose-bumpy and inexplicably happy about the shifting.

Reactions: dislegal
#7 ·
That noise you are hearing is a normal sound inherent to dual mass flywheels. As soon as I heard it in the Fist I thought back to my old SVT Focus and the worries it caused me hearing that noise until I learned about the dual mass flywheel. Not being completely off the throttle during shifts or blipping the throttle slightly before releasing the clutch to take off from a stop makes it a smoother engagement. I use the sound to gauge my shifting now... :)

#9 ·
Shifting at low RPMs will produce a noise caused by backlash in the drivetrain, mostly (I believe) between splines in the clutch assembly and in the transmission itself. At higher engine speeds, emission controls prevent the RPMs from dropping suddenly, which has the effect of keeping the drivetrain parts partially loaded (enough to take up the backlash). That's why you don't hear it when you're driving more vigoriously.

I think that is what most people are hearing.

#11 ·
I hear a similar noise to, especial 1st > 2nd > 3rd shifting around 2.5k - 3k RPM

I always just assumed I was bad at shifting :s ... (FiST is the first and only car I've ever driven stick)

Reactions: dislegal
#12 ·
As far as I can recall, all manuals I've driven make 3 noises when changing gear.
Typically a 'clonk' when leaving a gear to go into neutral, then 2 shorter and higher pitched 'clicks' when entering the next gear - the first being the synchro engaging, the second the full fear.

And yes, hear it alot more in the low gears due to less engine/road noise.

Interestingly, the ST is the first car where I have been able to feel the aircon running when the clutch is fully in. A slight vibration thru the pedal when stopped at the lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.