I need new tires. I popped one of my ZIIs (right rear). My rears were previously the more worn fronts, and I'd need to replace both (fronts just got rotated in and have a decent amount of depth). But ZIIs are out of production, and I can no longer buy the size I'd need. So rather than mixing tread patterns or compounds on a daily and possibly screwing up the handling balance, I'm faced with buying a new set and passing on or selling my fronts to someone who has better use for them.
Current top options (for a 15x6.5 Sparco), mixed performance driving duties.
- Toyo Proxes R1R 225/45/15 - $141 ea
- Dunlop Direzza Sport ZII Star Spec 205/50/15 - $114 ea
- Bridgestone RE71-R 205/50/15 - $120 ea
- Yokohama Advan NEOVA AD08-R 205/50/15 $116 ea
- Hankook VENTUS RS-3 Version 2 - 225/45/15 $121 ea
- BFG G-Force Rival S 205/50/15 - $129 ea
- BFG G Force Rival S 225/45/15 - $144 ea
From a purely cost standpoint, I don't like the R1Rs. They also seem to wear too fast according to most and would make a poor daily tire. The G-Force Rival Ses are also a bit too much money, personally. I'm mostly between the RE71-Rs and the RS3 V2s. I know people have done 225 on a 6.5 wide before, it's not ideal, but it's not the worst thing either. I have a long-ish school commute (60 miles per day), but that would mostly be on my winters anyways.
Guide me, O Gurus of Grip! School me, sultans of street tires, ye theoreticians of the traction circle. For I am weak, my right rear has a slow leak, and I need these by the end of the week.